If you’ve ever been to North Central Texas, then you’ve most likely heard of Lake Granbury. Widely known for its fun activities, this lake is also beautiful with many unique features. Residents and visitors alike will appreciate these 10 fun facts about Lake Granbury in Granbury, TX.
10 Fun Facts
- #1 – Lake Granbury is a man-made lake that was created in 1969.
- #2 – It’s one of three lakes formed by the Brazos River with the De Cordova Bend Dam on the south end.
- #3 – The dam was originally named for land agent and entrepreneur, Jacob De Cordova.
- #4 – Lake Granbury bends and arches with the belly of the lake going through the beautiful, idyllic town of Granbury.
- #5 – The lake is 33 miles long, 75 ft. deep, with an 8,310-acre surface area, and 103 mile-long shore.
- #6 – There are over 1,000 boat docks and piers on the lake.
- #7 – If you’re an avid fisherman, then this is the lake for you. Lake Granbury is home to many different types of fish, including: largemouth bass, striped bass, white bass, channel catfish, flathead catfish, white crappie, sunfish, and longnose gar.
- #8 – It’s no surprise that a lake of this size offers so many fun things to do. In fact, there’s something for everyone. Activities include: boating, jet skiing, paddle boating, boat cruises, fishing, hiking, and walking. Of course, there’s always plenty of room for sunbathing or lounging on the beach.
- #9 – There are several parks and boat launches around the lake.
Thorp Spring Park
This small grassy park on the west side of the lake offers a small boat ramp, pier, picnic table and restrooms.
Also located on the west side of the lake just north of the city, this beautiful and shady park offers a fishing pier, boat ramp, football field and restrooms.
Located in the heart of Granbury, City Park includes a beach, Splash Park, kayak rentals and thatched roof picnic pavilions. You can easily walk to town for dining and shopping. Tiki Hut on the beach sells a variety of snacks and rents out kayaks, paddle boards, tubes, bicycles and surreys (a light four-wheeled carriage with two seats facing forward).
Rough Creek Park
Located on the west of the lake is conveniently close to the Lake Granbury Marina. You’ll find plenty of shade on those hot sunny days, picnic tables under the shade trees, a boat ramp, plenty of parking, and a fishing pier. There is a small sandy area near the water. 2209 S. Morgan
De Cordova Bend Park
This park is situated on the southeast side of the lake, close to the dam. You’ll find a boat ramp, fishing pier and restrooms. There are also several picnic tables under the tree canopies for a nice picnic in the shade.
- #10 – As if you weren’t already sold on making a trip to Granbury, did you know you can book an overnight stay right on the lake? What’s more, our luxury Inn on Lake Granbury offers a private balcony or porch with beautiful lake views. We also have a serene sitting dock perched at the edge of the lake, and a hot tub on a bluff that looks out over our spacious grounds.
Don’t pass on the opportunity to visit Inn on Lake Granbury. Reserve a room, suite, or cottage to experience the best that Texas has to offer. Call 817-573-0046 or make online reservations for your best getaway yet.